20 September 2015

Fashion...I still don't get it

Nothing like New York Fashion week to get a person blogging again, right? Let me start out by saying that I still don't get it. I kind of wish the fashion designers would just call it performance art and leave the 'fashion' part out of it, because for the most part, that's what I think it is. Real women or men don't wear this stuff...and even if we wanted to, we couldn't afford it. But alas, like a moth to the flame, or a gawker to a train wreck, I'm there every season, shaking my head trying to make sense of it all.

*Just a personal side comment. Oscar de la Renta...I miss you terribly. I hope the goofballs that are now at the helm will get their shinola together. And Donna Karan...please come back out of retirement. Michael Jordan did. Okay, that may not be the best example, but did you see the DKNY show? Egads. Someone needs to be schooled on the DKNY brand please before it's as 'deconstructed' as the runway show was.

For your giggling pleasure, I give you some of the craziness that is New York Fashion Week.

I think Betsey Johnson needs to retire. Not that it ever was,
but I don't see polka dresses making a huge comeback any time soon.
Crotch sequins and diaper drape. Now there's a yeast infection waiting to happen.
Gareth Pugh designer.
With the increasing cost of clothing, it's important to have versatile wardrobe pieces.
Similar idea to Scarlett O'Hara and repurposing the draperies. I think Williams Sonoma
might be interested in this. Designed by Gary Graham.
I have no words.
By GypsySport
Designed by House of Holland. It's difficult to believe that cannabis wasn't involved here.
Shades of High School marching band. (shudder)
Now there's a memory I would rather leave buried. Thanks Marc.
This from one of Parson's design students.
Somehow I don't think Vic's Secret will be calling to set up an interview.
What does Anne of Green Gables, The Queen of Hearts and an African antelope have in common?
Designed by Thom Browne

1 comment:

Fassionista said...

Laugh out loud commentary on NYFW. And yes, it is performance art because the buyers and magazine editors are looking for editorial pieces and they are so filled with ennui that each designers have to be more and more outrageous to grab their attention. But like you, the linebacker in a dress - I too have no words!!